Here’s a friendly reminder that IRD is changing the way you can pay taxes. When paying by cash or EFTPOS at Westpac branch or Smart ATM, you’ll now need to have a barcode to ensure the payment goes to the right place.
Barcodes are usually printed on Inland Revenue returns, statements or letters. They can also be generated via the IRD website, which can be printed, or shown on a mobile device.
Other, more convenient payment options include:
- myIR:Direct debit and card payments can be made securely through myIR online services.
- Online banking:You may be able to make payments using online banking.
- Credit or debit card via our website:Credit or debit cards can be used to make online payments. Go to the IRD website and search for “Make a payment” and select “Pay using credit or debit card”.
- Self-service phone line:Credit or debit cards can also be used to make payments via the IRD self-service phoneline 24/7.
- Automatic payments:Online or in-branch payments are not for everyone, so automatic payments might be better. It allows for two signatories, and when completed correctly is an instruction to make a regular series of payments, such as debt or arrears. Payment processing times can vary, so check with your bank. For instructions, and to download the form, visit the IRD website and search for IR586.
Find out more at ird.govt.nz/payelectronically